Monday, July 30, 2012

Exercise goal!

Hi All!  Hope that your July goals have been going well for you! 

Just thought I'd take a moment to talk about why I chose my goal--exercising 90 minutes a week.  I debated about it for a while--I am not a good exerciser!  I hurt both of my knees as a teenager doing silly things and then re-injured them playing sports.  They often hurt a lot--granny knees long before I am an actual granny!  I get worried about doing things that will make them hurt more, or dislocate.  They partly hurt because of the extra weight I carry, but many free exercises hurt (walking and running are bad for knees!)  :)  So much drama!  Anyway, I decided that if I lost 15 pounds just by watching what I ate, that I would add some more exercise, hoping that even the little bit of loss would help those poor joints!  I really think it has. 

As I thought about exercise and what I wanted that to look like, I thought about Rachel's post-- working in.  I really appreciated the reminder that I didn't have to do 30 minutes all in a row.  I don't always have the time to do 30 in a row.

So, that was my thinking.  90 minutes a week seemed doable for this newbie.  I am able to do what I can each day, without guilt that I didn't do a huge workout.  No guilt is important to me--I get overwhelmed by all of the changes sometimes and then want to quit.  Making it a smaller goal that I can tweak to fit me at this moment has made a huge difference for me.  I plan to increase my time and pace etc. as my body changes, but this has worked well for me this month! 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Way to go Michelle. One thing I love about health habits is that even small changes are beneficial and can add up to make a big difference.

Post a Comment